A303 Stonehenge Amesbury to Berwick Down Public Consultation: Extended to Monday 23rd April 2018
We had to cancel two of our planned consultation events at Mere and Salisbury due to severe weather. To allow extra time to hold these, we have extended the formal consultation period until 23:59, Monday 23 April.
The new event at Mere will be held at Mere Lecture Hall, Salisbury Street, Mere, BA12 6HE, 14.00 to 20.00, Friday 13 April 2018.
The new event at Salisbury will be held at St Paul’s Church, Fisherton Street, Salisbury, SP2 7QW, 11.00 to 17.00, Saturday 14 April 2018.
What’s this all about?
This is about Highways England’s proposals to upgrade the A303 past Stonehenge between Amesbury and Berwick Down to a dual two-lane carriageway.
In September 2017 we announced the preferred route for the scheme following a public consultation in early 2017.
Since then we have developed the scheme further and would now welcome your views on our proposals.
Why is the scheme needed? The section of the road past Stonehenge currently experiences double the traffic it was designed for, and flows are even higher during the summer resulting in major delays on the A303 and rat-running through local villages.
What’s the plan?
The scheme is approximately 8 miles (nearly 13km) long and comprises the following key elements:
- A bypass to the north of Winterbourne Stoke with a viaduct over the Till valley
- A new junction between the A303 and A360 to the west of and outside the Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites World Heritage Site, replacing the existing Longbarrow roundabout
- A twin-bore tunnel at least 1.8 miles (2.9 km) long past Stonehenge
- A new junction between the A303 and A345 at the site of the existing Countess roundabout
How do I get involved?
Come along to one of our public information events to meet the project team, ask questions and view more details of our proposed scheme.
Let us know your views
The consultation runs until 23:59 on Monday 23 April 2018 and is open to everyone. We look forward to hearing your views. You can respond:
- Via our scheme website: www.highways.gov.uk/A303Stonehenge/consultation
- By posting your response to Freepost A303 STONEHENGE CONSULTATION
If you wish to phone us, please call 0300 123 5000