Making a complaint

We do not always get things right.  And although we aim to deliver the best possible service to our citizens, we may sometimes fall short of the standards you should expect.  When this happens, we need to know so that we can:

  • Fix the immediate problem.
  • Improve our service so that a similar problem does not occur in the future.

You might want to make a complaint if you think:

  • A service has not been delivered in a reasonable time and to the correct standard.
  • You have not been treated with the courtesy or fairness you should expect from the council.
  • We have not followed our own stated rules and policies.

If your complaint is about a council service or a council employee you can give us the details in any of the following ways:

  • Complete the complaints form at Annex A please click here and post it to the address below.

Please include your contact details and as much information as possible about the complaint.

  • Call us on 01980 622999.
  • Write to us with full details of the complaint to:

The Clerk to Amesbury Town Council

The Bowman Centre

Shears Drive



 Your complaint will be dealt with by the Policy Group.  They will investigate your complaint and reply to you with details.  We will do our best to respond to your complaint within 15 working days.

 If your complaint is about a councillor

You should contact:

Head of Governance

Wiltshire Council

Bythesea Road


BA14 8JN

The Councillor’s Code of Conduct sets out how Amesbury Town Councillors should behave.

Giving us feedback

Feedback that tells us what you think we are doing well is also very important.  It helps us to understand what we are doing right, so we can keep doing it.

You might want to tell us about:

  • A service that you have found particularly efficient or useful
  • An employee who you think has given exceptional service
  • Ideas you have for where we could improve

 To give us your comments you can:

  • Email us at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please include your contact details and as much information as possible about the complaint.

 Write to us through The Clerk to Amesbury Town Council at the above address.